Monday, June 12, 2006

Koanic Words of Wisdom

I spent some time in a software development plant and was confused as to how it was run. It seemed to me that there were no set working hours at all with some people working all through the night, others going home after a few hours, nobody arrived at 9:00 and left at 5:00 or later (except me of course, I had not yet discovered many of life's truth's). So I asked the man who ran this place "what are the rules?"

He replied with a phrase that I will never forget, and which I believe sums up the right attitude of a software developer, he said "there is only one rule here, and that is you are not allowed to say that it cannot be done. You can say that you cannot do it. But remember, everything is possible".

This same site had a wine cellar for posh lunches with visitors. They had written a system to control the stock in the cellar and to help make selections. So you would type in the kind of food you were having and the number of people and the system would choose a selection of wines for you. The thing that amazed me was the quantities it was programmed to select, it appeared to select about one bottle per person - for lunch?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Technology
Blog Top Sites Weblogs Directory SynBlog.com - Blog Directory View Terence Thorpe's profile on LinkedIn