Thursday, April 13, 2006

Object Orientation

"Wild thing, you make my heart sing" - The Troggs

Any thing (!) written about systems since 1990 must include something about object orientation, and this is no exception. However, there is a small problem here, and that is that I know nothing about the subject. Still, that should not stop me should it? There is certainly no reason why I cannot make uninformed, ignorant, luddite comments.

What is an Object?

An object is a 'thing' (hence 'Wild Thing' at the beginning of the chapter, do I really need to explain these things (oh no, another thing (oh no, another .... wait a minute I think I am in a semantic, loop - let us abort this line of thought))). More specifically an object is a 'thing' about which you which to store information for the system you are interested in. Now, if you have been around as long as I have then you may well remember a similar definition, only the last time it was referring to an 'entity'.

THING = OBJECT

THING = ENTITY

therefore; ENTITY = OBJECT ?

So, what is the difference between and entity and an object? By the way if an object is a thing the why not call it 'thing-orientation'.

1 Comments:

Blogger TerraKat said...

From what I understand, in a database, an entity is anything about which information can be stored (an entity is usually represented by a table).

An Object is similar, but the term seems to apply more to Software Development than Databasing.

I think!

(I guess thing-orientation doesn't sound complicated or technical enough!)

1:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Technology
Blog Top Sites Weblogs Directory SynBlog.com - Blog Directory View Terence Thorpe's profile on LinkedIn